- Is STaRT@Rice for Rice University undergraduate and graduate students only?
No. Participants can be enrolled in any full-time, accredited university or college.
- Is STaRT@Rice for graduate students only?
No. Undergraduate participants are welcome, especially those planning to attend graduate school in the future.
- Do I need to be a social sciences major (e.g., Psychology, Sociology, Economics, etc.) to participate?
No. But workshop content focuses on research methods specific to the social sciences.
- How much does it cost to participate in the STaRT@Rice?
The participation fee is $150. A $10 non-refundable registration fee is required when submitting your application.
- Are there scholarships to cover the STaRT@Rice participation fee?
Yes. STaRT@Rice aims to meet 100% of requested financial need through scholarships, which cover the participation fee.
- When is STaRT@Rice?
The program kicks off on Friday, October 7, 2022 in the late afternoon with a Welcome Reception. Workshops are scheduled from 9am-noon and 1pm-3pm on Saturday, October 8, 2022 through Tuesday, October 11, 2022. Breakfast (served from 8am - 9am), lunch (served from noon - 1pm), and dinner (served from 4pm - 5pm) will be provided on all days, and dinner can be taken to-go for participants wishing to leave campus.
- Where will STaRT@Rice take place?
STaRT@Rice will be held in Kraft Hall on the campus of Rice University. Maps are available on the STaRT@Rice website. Parking information can be found at https://parking.rice.edu/.
- Do I need to attend the entire time?
In order to get the most out of this program, we strongly encourage participants to attend as many program events and workshops as possible.
- When can I apply?
The on-line application portal will open on Monday, August 1, 2022. The application will collect basic personal and demographic information, and information regarding financial need. In addition, participants will be required to submit a short statement about their contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion.